Many older adults need or want to keep working. If you are working after age 65 and you earned $30,000 or less, you may be eligible for the CalEITC! Use our calculator tool to determine your eligibility and estimate your credit. 

The refundable tax credit amount you can get depends on your income and household size: 

  • Individuals can get up to $243. 
  • If you have any dependents, you can get more. If you have one dependent, you can get up to $1,626. Larger families qualify for more. 
  • If you have a dependent younger than 6 years old, you can get up to an additional $1,000 from the Young Child Tax Credit.

You may also qualify for other state tax credits and benefits:

  • If you’re 65 or older, you can claim an extra $118 state tax exemption.
  • If you’re 62 or older, with an annual income of less than $45,000 and at least 40% equity in your home, you may be eligible to defer payment of state property taxes. 
  • You may be eligible for CalFresh food assistance and other public benefits. See if you are eligible here.
  • If you’re 65 or older, you may qualify for a federal tax credit.

In order to receive any tax credits, you must file your taxes.

Older Californians also qualify for FREE tax help across the state: 

  • AARP Foundation Tax-Aide offers free tax preparation and has more than 5,000 locations in neighborhood libraries, malls, banks, community centers, and senior centers annually during the filing season. Visit or call 888-OUR-AARP (888-687-2277) for more information.
  • Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) offers free tax help from January 1 to April 15 each year to individuals who are age 60 or older. Find a location here: