No Social Security number? No problem! California expanded access to the California Earned Income Tax Credit beginning in the 2020 tax year to filers with an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) including undocumented workers. ITIN holders may now qualify for the CalEITC and the Young Child Tax Credit (YCTC). 

The amount of your refundable tax credit depends on your income and the size of your family. 

  • Individuals can get up to $255. 
  • If you have any children or dependents, you can get more. If you have one child, you can get up to $1,698. Larger families qualify for more.
  • And if your child has a Social Security number, you may also qualify for up to $3,600 for children under 6 and $3,000 for children 6-17 per child.

Note: Tax credits, like the CalEITC and EITC, are not considered public benefits under the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services public charge rule. 

If you do not yet have an ITIN or need to renew one, the procedure for requesting or renewing an ITIN is:

  1. Complete Form W-7:
  2. Provide original supporting documentation to establish identity
  3. Include the completed Form W-7 with the U.S. Tax Return and mail to:

Internal Revenue Service
ITIN Operation
P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TX 78714-9342

For assistance with completing the W-7 ITIN form along with your tax return, find a Free Tax Preparation provider near you.