If you are like many Californians, despite working hard, you may still have a hard time making ends meet. Did you know there are benefits that you may be eligible for? 

Don’t miss out on these benefits that you have earned — benefits that help put food on the table, give you better access to health care, and even provide education if you have kids. 

Discover which programs are available and how to get started.

  • Food Assistance: CalFresh provides monthly food benefits to assist low-income households in purchasing food to maintain adequate nutritional levels. Apply at getcalfresh.org
  • Cash Assistance: CalWorks is a public assistance program that provides cash aid and services to eligible families that have a child(ren) in the home. Apply at benefitscal.org
  • Health Coverage: California’s Medicaid program provides free or low-cost health coverage for children and adults with limited income and resources. Apply at coveredca.com/medi-cal
  • Nutrition, Education and Healthcare: Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) provides nutrition education, issues checks for healthy supplemental foods, and makes referrals to healthcare and other community services. Apply at myfamily.wic.ca.gov
  • Early Education: Head Start provides comprehensive early childhood education, health, nutrition, and parent involvement services to low-income children and their families. Apply at eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov
  • Low-cost Internet: Get low-cost internet prices and free or low-cost computers for families, call 24/7 toll-free 844-841-4636. Apply at everyoneon.org/eitc

You may also be eligible for the California Earned Income tax Credit. 

The California Earned Income Tax Credit (CalEITC) is a refundable tax credit that can reduce the amount of taxes you owe or increase your tax refund. The way the CalEITC works is simple. If you’re working for a low wage, you get money back based on how much you earned and how many children you have. 

Receiving the CalEITC will not affect your eligibility for any other public benefits.

No Social Security number? No problem! For the first time, taxpayers with an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number), including undocumented immigrants, are now eligible for the CalEITC and Young Child Tax Credit (YCTC).

Tax credits, like the CalEITC, YCTC and EITC, are not considered public benefits.

To find out if you are eligible and estimate the amount of your credit, use our EITC Calculator.

File your taxes online for FREE here.