People who are self-employed can take advantage of tax credits. If you are in business for yourself and earned less than $30,950, you may qualify for the CalEITC. Both Social Security Number holders and ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) holders are eligible. Learn more about filing as an ITIN holder here.

The amount of your refundable tax credit depends on your income and the size of your family. Use our calculator to determine your eligibility and estimate the amount of your credit.

You are likely self-employed if you did not receive a W-2 and work in an occupation like:

  • Driver for ride-sharing companies
  • Gardener
  • Childcare worker
  • Homecare worker
  • Independent contractor
  • Domestic worker
  • Street vendor
  • Janitor 
  • On-call worker

Don’t forget: Self-employed people have to pay federal self-employment taxes for Social Security and Medicare, in addition to income tax. You may also be required to pay estimated taxes quarterly. 

Need help filing your taxes? Find free tax preparation help here.