You work hard for your money.
Make tax credits work for you.

Are you 18 or older, earning $30,000 or less each year, and filing your own taxes (not someone else’s dependent)? You may be eligible for the CalEITC! Use our calculator tool to determine your eligibility and estimate the amount of your credit.

If you are a parent, you may qualify for a bigger credit, and if your child is younger than 6 years old, you can get up to an additional $1,000 from the Young Child Tax Credit.

If you’re a student or paying off student debt, you may also qualify for education tax benefits. 

Only working part-time or earning less than $9,000 a year? You may still qualify for the CalEITC if you are not a dependent on someone else’s taxes and you file your own taxes. 

How do I file my taxes?

Young adults often use the IRS Free File for free tax preparation, free electronic filing, and free direct deposit. You can also find free tax prep help here.

Filing your taxes for the first time? Here’s what you need to have on hand:

  • Social Security number or ITIN – Individual Tax Identification Number
  • Wage and income information i.e. Form W-2 or Form 1099, including taxable college scholarships or grants
  • Documentation for all tax credits and deductions
  • Bank account and routing number to get your refund direct deposited