If you have low income and work, you may qualify for CalEITC. This credit gives you a refund or reduces your tax owed.
If you qualify for CalEITC and have a child under the age of 6, you may also qualify for the Young Child Tax Credit (YCTC).
Together, these state credits can put hundreds or even thousands of dollars in your pocket.
Filing your state tax return is required to claim both of these credits.
You may qualify for CalEITC if:
- You’re at least 18 years old or have a qualifying child
- You have earned income within certain limits
The amount of CalEITC you may get depends on your income and family size.
- Have taxable earned income
- Have a valid social security number for you, your spouse, and any qualifying children
- Not use “married/RDP filing separate” if married
- Live in California for more than half the year
Earned income can be from:
- W-2 wages
- Salaries, tips
- Other employee wages subject to California withholding