GSO Facilitates Free Online Tax Prep Aided by IRS-trained Volunteers
In light of Gov. Gavin Newsom’s stay at home order, Golden State Opportunity’s (GSO) CalEITC4Me campaign has suspended our scheduled in-person free tax preparation events until further notice.
However, you can still file your taxes safely from home for free and claim the refund cash that you’ve earned, thanks to our Million 4 a Billion campaign.
If you would like to make an appointment to file your taxes online with the help of one of our IRS-trained tax volunteers, please enter your information below and select an appointment time from the calendar. Once you’ve done so, you’ll receive an email with instructions on what documents you will need for your appointment and how to create an account with TaxSlayer’s free tax filing software. Please have your documents and account registration completed prior to your appointment.
Prior to booking please check to see if any of these conditions apply to you.
- Were you a part-year or full year resident of California?
- Was your income $56,000 or less in 2019?
- Do you have a social security number or ITIN?
- Prior to booking, please check to see if any of these conditions apply to you.
We can answer tax law questions that are within our scope and qualifications and assist you with the software. We cannot verify the accuracy of your return as we are not able to view your personal information and we are coaching you on how to prepare your return.
Uber or Lyft drivers do qualify for tax coaching appointments.
Own a business? We can assist with very limited Sch C Business returns. Here are some of the things we can not help with, if any of these apply to you it may be better to seek paid tax preparation because you may qualify for more deductions that our VITA certified coaches can help you with.
- Daycare businesses, businesses with employees, businesses with online sales, or paid contractors over $600, any business with inventory.
- Businesses with expenses totalling $25k or more.
- Any business with depreciation.
Other items we cannot help with:
- Rental income, such as Air bnb income.
- Sale of property.
- Home sale, if it does not meet eligibility for exclusion of gain.
- Limitations on capital gains and losses.
Again we can’t help coach you on how to fill out your return if these apply to you. Sometimes it’s better to seek paid tax preparation in these cases, because you may qualify for more deductions than we can help you with.
File On Your Own:
If you’d prefer to file your own taxes now without assistance, you can visit Free File.
Need More Help?
To upload your tax documents and have an IRS-trained volunteer file your taxes for you, visit getyourrefund.org.
Don’t Have a Computer?
Unfortunately, at this time our online tax preparation appointments require that you have access to a computer and the internet. For more information on low-cost internet and computer access, please visit: http://broadband.unitedwaysca.org